Pine Forest Camp is one of the oldest camps in the United States of America owned and operated by the same family. Its founders were Hughie and Selma Black. Hughie was a teacher and gifted athlete who was the original captain and co-founder of the famous 1918 Philadelphia SPHAS basketball team. The SPAHS, forerunners of today's NBA Philadelphia Sixers are celebrated in the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, Mass.
In 1931, Hughie and Selma purchased a camp high in the mountains of Greeley, Pike County, Pennsylvania. They quickly changed the name to Pine Forest because of the towering pine trees that surrounded the site, and Pine Forest Camp was born. That first year, camp enrollment was 25 children. In the years that followed, it grew rapidly adding a wide variety of activities and attracting children from across the United States and the world.
In 1946, Hughie and Selma's son Marvin returned from a Navy tour and became involved with the camp. A few years later, he and his wife Annette, along with Hughie and Selma's daughter Libby and her husband, Ted Halpern became directors. In 1984 Hughie and Selma's grandson Mickey and his wife Barbara took on the responsibilities of directors and continued to expand the range of activities and the facilities. They are the directors today and have been joined by their daughter Anna Black Morin and her husband Eric and their son Lee Forest Black.
Building on the success of Pine Forest, in 1961 and 1963, the Black and Halpern families founded our brother/sister camps, Lake Owego for boys and Timber Tops for girls, located just one mile away.
After seeing four generations of campers and more than 80 consecutive seasons, Pine Forest is proud to continue its extraordinary tradition. As the Black family says, the camp's success is really the success of each and every camper, every summer. Their fun, friendships and adventures are Pine Forest's lasting legacy.